Love and Rockets:|
Rarely Asked Questions
1. Is it true? Did Love and Rockets really break up?
Yes. On 29 April 1999, Love and Rockets made the official announcement. Their last show was 10 May 1999 at the Roxy in Los Angeles, CA.
2. I'm confused...I thought Love and Rockets was a comic book?
Yep. Oh, you wanted more information. Google the Hernandez Brothers.
3. Will Daniel and the Haskins guys ever reunite with former band-mate, Peter Murphy, for a public performance? 
The Bauhaus Reunion tour happened in 1998. Where were you?
4. What else have the guys been up to since the breakup?
- David J keeps us up to date about his comings and goings. He also holds ebay auctions
every so often.
- Kevin and Doug DeAngelis aka Messy can be heard at messymusic.com. They have licensed music to Playstation's Jet Moto 4 game.
- Kevin also worked with Mark Allison.
- Daniel's site went up
but now it's down. For a brief time, he sold an EP. Hope you got one!
- Daniel and Adrian Utley [Portishead] have a song on the American Psycho soundtrack.
5. Weren't Bauhaus supposed to be on The Simpsons? I really wanted to see Love and Rockets portrayed in cartoon, not to mention the Peter guy. 
Yes, it was supposed to be in the season opener, Fall 1999. It's a shame that Bauhaus didn't show up as planned, but you can never predict these things.
6. I heard that Kevin and David have remixed some other artists' music. Where can I hear their talented skills demonstrated? 
The ever-alert and charming HotTripTom posted on the now-defunct Elevator board that Kevin Haskins is responsible for remixing 'Mental Hopscotch' on the Missing Persons remix album. He has also remixed 'C30 C60 C90 Go!' on Bow Wow Wow's Wild In The USA compilation. As far as I can determine, his first well-publicized foray into the world of 80s remixing was on Gene Loves Jezebel's '20 Killer Hurts' on Desire.
David J remixed Information Society's 'What's on Your Mind?' on InSoc Recombinant.
All of these cds are available on the Cleopatra Label, of course.
7. Someone mentioned that David and Daniel are DJs now. Where do they spin? 
David's more far-reaching than Daniel, but Daniel occasionally dj's in Los Angeles.
David's DJ gigs can be found on his I am a d.j. page.
8. Is it true that Kevin wrote a song for one of those cheesy boy bands? 
No, that's not true. But Messy did remix a song for that cheesy MTV movie based on boy bands, 2Gether. The song is called "U + Me = Us (Calculus) (Dream Maker Club Mix)." Chee-zee.
9. Who opened for Love and Rockets on their last tour? 
According to Deep Dish, they were supposed to take over the opening band slot after Orgy but other commitments kept them from doing so. One half of Deep Dish did, however, spin some deep house as the opener for the L&R Baltimore show. He then spun samples while L&R played. Yes, you should know who Deep Dish are. They did two Resurrection Hex remixes. Mistle Thrush opened in Boston, Superhalo opened in Toronto, Lenola opened in Philly, Cyde opened in Cleveland, DJ Mr. Funkyhouse spun discs in Cincinnati, and I can't remember if I was told who opened in Columbus.
I know that the Centimeters opened for the final two L&R shows, but I can't remember who opened on the West Coast part of the tour, sorry.
10. Don't you have Peter Murphy information?
This is a Love and Rockets site! But if you want somewhere to look for Peter, try Peter's official site.
11. I heard that David J played bass for an electro-industrial band? 
Yes, that's true. David J helped Spahn Ranch out on their Beat Noir album. The two tracks are 'Dubnosis' and 'An Exit.'
12. Didn't David J auction off some of his stuff? [1999 - 2001]
Yes, in order to finance his next project (Estranged), David held three eBay autions.
13. MTV never plays Love and Rockets videos and I want to see them! Can I view some online?
You certainly can, although it doesn't compare to seeing it on a television. Check Beggar's Banquet. Or You Tube.
14. I love DJ Keoki and what he's done with Love and Rockets songs. I heard there's a web-only version of Holy Fool. Where is it? 
You can still download the special web-only mix here.
15. David J is so hep, man, like where can I read more of his way out prose, daddy-o?
First, check out his site. He also wrote a little bio for Peter Murphy at the bugjuice site and also wrote new liner notes for the upcoming re-release of Seventh Dream of Teenage Heaven. I hear that he wrote something for the Jack Kerouac box set, but I don't have that yet. And anyway, I've always liked Lawrence Ferlinghetti better than Kerouac.
16. Am I losing my mind, or did I really hear Angels and Devils on MTV once? 
I can't vouch for your mental state but you did hear it on MTV way back when Liquid Television was in its early years (you know, with the groovy Mark Mothersbaugh theme). Angels and Devils was used as the soundtrack for a rather interesting black and white piece with industrial themes. Kinda German, like a printmaker whose name escapes me at the moment (Franz H?). I can't remember much more than that. Sorry.
17. Is there an online site where I can exchange information with other Love & Rockets fans?
18. Who's done something really nice for a fan? 
They're all nice, but David J helped brighten the brief life of a very sick woman. Here's the sad story.
Also, check out Songs for Summer, a tribute and benefit cd. The Jazz Butcher and Jonathan Richman have contributed songs.
19. Will Danny Boy ever go back to his porcupine hair style? 
Suprisingly [or not], lots of people are really fixated on Daniel's hairstyle. I said time will tell, and it has. You'll see that it's back.
20. Has David J really done a cover of the Spice Girls' Wannabe in his occassional live shows? 
Yes he has, and I would love to hear it. Girl Power!
21. What are the ages/birthdays of these three men? 
David John Haskins: 24 April 1957
Kevin Michael Haskins: 19 July 1960
Daniel Gaston Ash: 31 July 1957
22. To which gym does Kevin go? 
I have no clue except it's in Los Angeles and Dave Navarro and some other guy from the Red Hot Chili Peppers also go there. They said Kev bench-presses somethin' fierce [source: MTV's Decade of 120 Minutes special]. I also hear that Kevin goes to LA raves all the time, too, but that doesn't mean I'm going to seek him out. As if I even lived in LA.
23. What is this Daniel Ash 'Bono' fixation? Or this Bono 'Daniel Ash' fixation? 
I'd like to know myself. I just saw a video recently and got all excited 'cause I thought it was Danny and then realized it was Bono. Something about the nose, I think.
24. Who is married/Who has kids? 
The Haskins brothers are married; Daniel is not. That much I am sure about. I believe that Kevin and his wife had a daughter around 1989.
David and his wife had a son around that time, too [which, IMHO, accounts for that happy album, Songs From Another Season]. I also think I read in Melody Maker or NME [hey this was 1989 and I can't find the article again] that David's wife had a previous child who was 16 in 1989, so he's got a stepson, too. And in Dark Entries by Ian Shirley, there was a mention of the birth of David's second son, so he's got at least two children. Actually, Dark Entries also mentions David having to pick his stepson up from school in '83 or so. So that's as much as I know about Rocket offspring.
I don't know about Daniel...he could have kids...I've read that he was married for 18 months to a very young model (Taxi?), but I don't think he's interested in a family. Just in case, Daniel, I have received word that should he ever want kids, there is a certain lady in Sweden who is willing...and of course, there's always
I also heard a more substantial rumor that he was married to Natacha Atlas, not Taxi. So who knows.